September 1, 2017
While our thoughts and prayers continues to be with those affected by Hurricane Harvey, Organization of Iranian American Communities-US (OIAC) calls upon all its members and nationwide network to elevate their efforts for recovery support in and around Houston, Beaumont/Port Arthur as well as southwest Louisiana. The Federal Emergency Management Agency recommends checking with the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster for a list of trusted disaster-relief organizations in Texas. We will continue our efforts at local and national levels.
At the local lever, please reach out to:
- If you live in Texas, the City of Houston Emergency Operations Center has posted a list of places where you can drop off donations.
- The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund of Houston’s mayor, Sylvester Turner, which is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
- Houston Food Bank and the Food Bank of Corpus Christi are asking for donations.
- The United Way of Greater Houston flood relief fund will be used to help with immediate needs as well as long-term services like minor home repair. Visit their website to donate or text UWFLOOD to 41444.
At the national level, please reach out to:
- The American Red Cross is accepting donations on its website. You can also text HARVEY to 90999 to donate.
- AmeriCares takes medicine and supplies to survivors.
- Catholic Charities provides food, clothing, shelter and support services to those from all religious backgrounds.
- Donations to the Salvation Army can be made online, by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769) or texting STORM to 51555.
- Save the Children is delivering baby supplies, including cribs and strollers, and setting up child-friendly spaces in shelters.